“Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Become a CAP Volunteer
- Meet and work with fellow alumni from a variety of backgrounds
- Gain insights into the inner workings of nonprofit organizations
- Give back to the Greater Boston community using your skills and experience
The positive experience of CAP teams brings our volunteers back. More than 50% of volunteers have worked on prior CAP projects.
Consultant Volunteer Info
As we begin to emerge from the pandemic, CAP continues to work with our nonprofit partners on strategic challenges.
CAP recognizes that the pandemic is not over. Currently, we anticipate that volunteer vetting will be conducted virtually in September.
Unless specifically noted as VIRTUAL, this year’s projects are anticipated to have a combination of in-person and Zoom meetings–please read project descriptions carefully and make your selections accordingly. VIRTUAL projects will plan to conduct the vast majority of project work via Zoom, Google Meet, telephone, etc. MIXED projects will offer a combination of all in-person or all virtual meetings, the balance of which will be determined by the CAP team and the client. We believe the best collaboration happens when all participants in meetings are either all together in person or all joining remotely. Volunteers should make their best effort to attend a given meeting in the mode the team and client decide upon.
CAP will continue to monitor the public health situation and will provide additional guidance throughout the project period as appropriate. We thank you for your patience and flexibility.
Consultant Volunteer Overview
- Typical project team consists of four to eight alumni of Harvard Business School or Harvard Kennedy School working between two and four hours per week for four to eight months
- The CAP team works side-by-side with the leadership of the nonprofit client
- We leverage each team’s unique intellectual capital and business talent, customizing every project to meet client needs
- The result is a mutually rewarding experience — for alumni who want to impact the social good, and for our nonprofit clients who need professional help
Consulting Project Overview
- Each project is defined and agreed upon with the client organization in a written project commitment letter
- A project team leader is designated prior to start-up with responsibility for guiding the project to completion
- Each project has a liaison to the CAP board to track progress and provide assistance when necessary
- A final report (oral and/or written) or presentation is made to client management and/or the board of directors
Consultant Volunteer Interest Form
“I enjoyed the intellectual, political and business challenges working with the team and the client in developing a strategy. I particularly liked working with my teammates and the client’s Board.”
Brainstorming Volunteer Info
Brainstorming Volunteer Overview
- Brainstorming allows CAP to serve a wide variety of nonprofit clients, especially those who are small or whose issues don’t fit with the CAP Consulting eight-month pro bono consulting engagements
- Brainstorming allows HBS/HKS alumni to put their skills to use in service of local nonprofits with a limited time commitment
- Examples of recent brainstorming session topics include: succession planning; board governance; impact measurement and reporting; ways to increase an organization’s visibility and reach; and staffing structures for continued growth
Brainstorming Session Overview
- Brainstorming sessions are a targeted way to work with Boston area nonprofits on their management needs
- Each brainstorming session consists of a 2-3 hour meeting to discuss and solve a clearly-defined challenge
- Typically five to seven volunteers, all alumni of Harvard Business School or Harvard Kennedy School, will participate in each facilitated session
Brainstorming Volunteer Interest Form
Brainstorming Volunteer Application
Thank you for your interest in CAP Brainstorms. All our current Brainstorm sessions are filled. New volunteer opportunities will be posted as they become available.