“Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Become a CAP Volunteer
- Meet and work with fellow alumni from a variety of backgrounds
- Gain insights into the inner workings of nonprofit organizations
- Give back to the Boston community using your skills and experience
The positive experience of CAP teams brings our volunteers back. More than 50% of volunteers have worked on prior CAP projects.
Consultant Volunteer Info
In these difficult times, CAP has been motivated to find creative ways to help our nonprofit clients adapt to new challenges. To better meet the needs of our partners, CAP has modified our Consulting program with some key changes:
- Classic strategic planning projects will be capped at 6 months.
- New for this year are Short projects (2-4 months), focused on narrower strategy and operational issues — including financial fitness and planning.
- All aspects of the Consulting cycle (client vetting, volunteer recruitment, project work) are anticipated to be conducted virtually.
- Applicants for the Short projects must meet a minimum staffing threshold of 2 FTEs and demonstrate active board participation.
- Alumni volunteers may choose to participate in more than one Short project during this cycle.
Complete applicant criteria and options will be detailed in the application form, which will be available here on August 3rd. All questions can be directed to CAP Executive Director, Kathy Le, at email@example.com.
The Revised Timeline for the 2020-21 CAP Consulting Cycle:
|08/03/20||CAP Consulting client applications open online|
|09/11/20||CAP Consulting client application deadline|
|10/01/20||Consulting applicants notified of Round 1 decisions|
|11/02/20||Consulting applicants notified of Round 2 decisions; Projects marketed to volunteers|
|12/01/20||Volunteer registration deadline|
|12/14/20||Final project notification to volunteers and applicants|
Consultant Volunteer Overview
- Typical project team consists of five to six alumni (Classic projects) and three to four alumni (Short Projects) of Harvard Business School or Harvard Kennedy School working between two and four hours per week from January through June
- The CAP team works side-by-side with the leadership of the nonprofit client
- We leverage each team’s unique intellectual capital and business talent, customizing every project to meet client needs
- The result is a mutually rewarding experience — for alumni who want to impact the social good, and for our nonprofit clients who need professional help
Consulting Project Overview
- Each project is defined and agreed upon with the client organization in a written project commitment letter
- A project team leader is designated prior to start-up with responsibility for guiding the project to completion
- Each project has a liaison to the CAP board to track progress and provide assistance when necessary
- A final report (oral and/or written) is made to client management and/or the board of directors
Consultant Volunteer Interest Form
“I enjoyed the intellectual, political and business challenges working with the team and the client in developing a strategy. I particularly liked working with my teammates and the client’s Board.”
Brainstorming Volunteer Info
Brainstorming Volunteer Overview
- Brainstorming allows CAP to serve a wide variety of nonprofit clients, especially those who are small or whose issues don’t fit with the CAP Consulting eight-month pro bono consulting engagements
- Brainstorming allows HBS/HKS alumni to put their skills to use in service of local nonprofits with a limited time commitment
- Examples of recent brainstorming session topics include: succession planning; board governance; impact measurement and reporting; ways to increase an organization’s visibility and reach; and staffing structures for continued growth
Brainstorming Session Overview
- Brainstorming sessions are a targeted way to work with Boston area nonprofits on their management needs
- Each brainstorming session consists of a 2-3 hour meeting to discuss and solve a clearly-defined challenge
- Typically five to seven volunteers, all alumni of Harvard Business School or Harvard Kennedy School, will participate in each facilitated session
Brainstorming Volunteer Interest Form
Brainstorming Volunteer Application
Thank you for your interest in CAP Brainstorms. All our current Brainstorm sessions are filled. New volunteer opportunities will be posted as they become available.